The APICS Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) program which was created by APICS is a leading standard that is recognized worldwide in the area of production & inventory control. The achievement of an APICS certification like CPIM actually highlights the commitment to the profession by an individual leading to:
• A sense of personal achievement
• Demonstration of key value and importance of presence to the employer
• Enhances a professional’s earning potential in addition to providing a path to career advancement.
The APICS CPIM program is divided into five process-oriented concepts to facilitate the participants with the best option to assess their learning and improve their knowledge base. More than 100,000 professionals have earned their APICS CPIM credentials, and about 3,000 have moved on to the APICS Certified Fellow in Production and Inventory Management (CFPIM) designation. After earning an APICS CPIM credential, you can begin the process of earning the CFPIM designation. The differentiating characteristic of the APICS CFPIM designation is the willingness to share acquired knowledge with others through presentations, publication of articles, teaching and participating in professional development activities.
Through the exposure to the CPIM framework once can expect to master the following concepts like procurement related management, demand management, planning related to the suppliers, material requirements, sales & operations, master scheduling, continuous improvement and relationship with suppliers.
In case you are involved in purchase, managing production and inventory, operations, procuring of materials then the CPIM certification shall equip one to improve your credibility within the organisation, enhance your functional know-how of production and inventory management, allow you to cater to your customer to receive and plan for delivering Just-in-Time product and services.
To have been credited with passing the CPIM exam an individual must have passed all these following exams:
• Basics of supply chain management: All those aspects pertaining to managing the entire material flow in the supply chain are addressed here
• Master Planning of resources: Here we apply concepts like master scheduling, planning of sales and operation, demand management and distribution planning to see what requires action
• Strategic Management of resources: This addresses and provides insights as to how processes in an organisation and resources have to be aligned to match the market requirements
• Detailed Scheduling and Planning: Here the knowledge is gained on the tools & techniques for better planning of inventory than can be applied for lean, TOC & projects
• Execution and Control of Operations: Here one shall learn to translate plans into operational activities and evaluate between various trade-offs in decision making
The individual maintains the CPIM certification by
• Abiding to the Code of Ethics provided and upgraded by APICS from time to time
• Earning 75 PDU’s(Professional Development Units)over a period of 5 years